September Devotion: Our Lady of Sorrows
Since the 16th century Catholic piety has assigned entire months to special devotions. Due to her feast day on September 15, the month of September has traditionally been set aside to honor Our Lady of Sorrows. All the sorrows of Mary (the prophecy of Simeon, the three days' loss, etc.) are merged in the supreme suffering at the Passion. In the Passion, Mary suffered a martyrdom of the heart because of Our Lord's torments and the greatness of her love for Him. "She it was," says Pope Pius XII, "who immune from all sin, personal or inherited, and ever more closely united with her Son, offered Him on Golgotha to the Eternal Father together with the holocaust of her maternal rights and motherly love. As a new Eve, she made this offering for all the children of Adam contaminated through his unhappy fall. Thus she, who was the mother of our Head according to the flesh, became by a new title of sorrow and glory the spiritual mother of all His members."
Saturday Litany of the Hours Invoking the Aid of Mother Mary
say hourly upon waking till you go to sleep
1. Through the consent of Our Lady, the New Eve, the Son of God became Man and crushed the head of the ancient Serpent who had deceived the first Eve. By the Blessed Mother’s assistance, we are able to take part in her Son’s victory over the Devil and his legions. The Hail Mary: Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: First Station
O most holy Virgin, Mother of our Lord Jesus Christ: by the overwhelming grief you experienced when you witnessed the martyrdom, the crucifixion, and the death of your divine Son, look upon me with eyes of compassion, and awaken in my heart a tender commiseration for those sufferings, as well as a sincere detestation of my sins, in order that, being disengaged from all undue affection for the passing joys of this earth, I may sigh after the eternal Jerusalem, and that henceforward all my thoughts and all my actions may be directed towards this one most desirable object. Honor, glory, and love to our divine Lord Jesus, and to the holy and immaculate Mother of God. Amen. --Saint Bonaventure
The Memorare to Our Lady: Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, and sought your intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to you, O Virgin of Virgins, my mother; to you I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions; but in your clemency hear and answer me. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: Second Station
3. Queen of Heaven, Reign with your Son over the Enemy. Queen of Angels, Summon the heavenly hosts to war. New Eve of the New Creation, Crush the head of the Serpent. Our Lady of Victory, Come to our aid in battle. Help of Christians, Be our comfort and strength. Virgin Most Powerful, Guard us from all harm. Holy Mother of God, We fly to your protection. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: Third Station
4. O Mary, powerful Virgin, you are the mighty and powerful protector of the Church; you are the marvelous help of Christians; you are terrifying as an army in battle array; you alone have destroyed every heresy in the whole world. In the midst of our anguish, our struggles, and our distresses, defend us from the power of the Enemy, and at the hour of our death, receive our souls in paradise. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: Fourth Station
5. We fly to your protection, O holy Mother of God. Despise not our petitions in our necessities, but deliver us always from all dangers, O glorious and blessed Virgin. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: Fifth Station
Mary, most holy Virgin and Queen of Martyrs, accept the sincere homage of my filial affection. Into thy heart, pierced by so many swords, do thou welcome my poor soul. Receive it as the companion of thy sorrows at the foot of the Cross, on which Jesus died for the redemption of the world. With thee, O sorrowful Virgin, I will gladly suffer all the trials, contradictions, and infirmities which it shall please our Lord to send me. I offer them all to thee in memory of thy sorrows, so that every thought of my mind, and every beat of my heart may be an act of compassion and of love for thee. And do thou, sweet Mother, have pity on me, reconcile me to thy divine Son Jesus, keep me in His grace, and assist me in my last agony, so that I may be able to meet thee in heaven and sing thy glories. Amen.
6. Most holy Virgin, who was pleasing to the Lord and became His mother, immaculate in body and spirit, in faith and in love, look kindly on the wretched ones who implore your powerful patronage. The wicked Serpent, against whom was hurled the first curse, continues fiercely to attack and ensnare the unhappy children of Eve. So then, O Blessed Mother, our queen and advocate, who from the first instant of your conception crushed the head of the Enemy, receive the prayers which, united with you in our single heart, we implore you to present at the throne of God; so that we may never fall into the snares that are laid out for us, and may all arrive at the harbor of salvation. And in so many dangers, may the Church and Christian society sing once again the hymn of deliverance and of victory and of peace. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: Sixth Station
7. O Queen of Angels, Bane of Devils: The proud spirits of wickedness were humiliated by your perfect humility; their rebellion was scattered by your perfect obedience. Your fiat overthrew Eve’s baleful consent to the ancient Serpent, crushing his head, exposing his deceits, and healing the wounds inflicted by his venom, through the Son you conceived, Jesus Christ, our Lord. Come to our aid, Our Lady of Victory! When the battle rages, when our strength fails, when the Enemy wounds us, when defeat seems certain: With your mantle, cover and protect us; with your bright banner above us, dispel the darkness; so that we may rally again in combat through the invincible power of your Son. Then, when our warfare is complete, and our victory won, lead us from the battlefield to His glorious Throne, so that we may join you there in a glad song of everlasting triumph! AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: Seventh Station
8. O holy Virgin, Mother of God, my mother and patroness, I place myself under your protection; I throw myself with confidence into the arms of your compassion. Be to me, O Mother of Mercy, my refuge in distress; my consolation in suffering; and my advocate with your Son, who is worthy to be adored, now and at the hour of my death. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: Eighth Station
Most holy Virgin. and Mother, whose soul was pierced by a sword of sorrow in the Passion of thy divine Son, and who in His glorious Resurrection wast filled with never-ending joy at His triumph; obtain for us who call upon thee, so to be partakers in the adversities of Holy Church and the sorrows of the Sovereign Pontiff, as to be found worthy to rejoice with them in the consolations for which we pray, in the charity and peace of the same Christ our Lord. Amen.
9. O Mother of God, we take refuge in your loving care. Do not let our plea to you pass unheeded in the trials that beset us, but deliver us from danger, for you alone are truly pure, you alone are truly blessed. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: Ninth Station
10. My Queen and my Mother, I give myself entirely to you; and in proof of my affection, I give you my eyes, my ears, my tongue, my heart, my whole being without reserve. Since I am your own, keep me and guard me as your property and possession. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: Tenth Station
11. August Queen of Heaven! Sovereign Mistress of the angels! You who from the beginning have received from God the power and mission to crush the head of Satan: We humbly beg You to send your holy legions of angels so that, under your command and by your power, they may pursue the evil spirits, encounter them on every side, resist their bold attacks, and drive them away from here into the abyss of eternal woe. O good and tender Mother, you will always be our love and hope! O Mother of God, send your holy angels to defend us and to drive far away from us the cruel Enemy. Holy angels and archangels, defend us, guard us! AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: 11th Station
12. Mary, Mother of Grace, Mother of Mercy, protect me from the Enemy and receive me at the hour of death. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: 12th Station
O most holy and afflicted Virgin! Queen of Martyrs! thou who didst stand motionless beneath the Cross, witnessing the agony of thy expiring Son--through the unceasing sufferings of thy life of sorrow, and the bliss which now more than amply repays thee for thy past trials, look down with a mother's tenderness and pity on me, who kneel before thee to venerate thy dolors, and place my requests, with filial confidence, in the sanctuary of thy wounded heart; present them, I beseech thee, on my behalf, to Jesus Christ, through the merits of His own most sacred death and passion, together with thy sufferings at the foot of the cross, and through the united efficacy of both obtain the grant of my present petition. To whom shall I resort in my wants and miseries if not to thee, O Mother of Mercy, who, having so deeply drunk of the chalice of thy Son, canst compassionate the woes of those who still sigh in the land of exile? Offer for me to my Savior one drop of the Blood which flowed from His sacred veins, one of the tears which trickled from His divine eyes, one of the sighs which rent His adorable Heart. O refuge of the universe and hope of the whole world, do not reject my humble prayer, but graciously obtain the grant of my petition.
13. We fly to your patronage, O holy Mother of God; despise not our petitions in our necessities, but deliver us always from all dangers. O glorious and blessed Virgin. AMEN. Do the Mary Way of the Cross: 13th Station
14. Allow me to praise you, Virgin, most holy; give me strength against your enemies! Tender heart of Mary, be my safety! Do the Mary Way of the Cross: 14th Station
Mary most sorrowful, Mother of Christians, pray for us. Virgin most sorrowful, pray for us.
Thigpen, Paul. Manual for Spiritual Warfare . TAN Books. Kindle Edition.