Spiritual focus for the week: The double love of God and neighbor.
Acts, Chapter 15, Verse 33
After they had spent some time there, they were sent off with greetings of peace from the brothers to those who had commissioned them.
We are all sent off with the message as are the angels that the only way to be without fear and to have true peace is by living in the truth and the truth is we were created to know, love and serve God and our neighbor. America is special in that the founders realized this when they wrote our constitution which was established to ensure that laws are enacted and enforced that support life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Much of our misery in this country is caused by laws that reverse the order ensuring that wealth trumps liberty and liberty trumps life. No, it must be life first.
Patriot Day is a day the US remembers the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. This day is commonly referred to as 9-11 (Nine-Eleven). It is believed that 2,977 people died in the attacks. President George W. Bush proclaimed September 11th Patriot Day in 2002.
Patriot Day (Sept 11) Facts
· On September 11th, US Flags should be flown at half-mast - both on US soil and abroad.
· A moment of silence is held at 8:46 a.m. (EST) across the nation - commemorating the time the first plane struck the North Tower of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.
· The National September 11 Memorial and Museum takes up over half of the destroyed World Trade Center site. It contains bronze parapets inscribed with the names of those killed on September 11, 2001 and those killed in the 1993 World Trade Center attack.
· Cleaning up Ground Zero, as the World Trade Center was renamed, took 18 months and 19 days, and was completed in May of 2002.
· The Twin Towers of the World Trade Center were once the tallest buildings in the world, and contained enough concrete to build a sidewalk from New York City to Washington D.C