2 Maccabees, Chapter 9, Verse 29 His foster brother Philip brought the body home; but fearing Antiochus’ son, he later withdrew i...
Friday, January 13, 2017
Saturday, January 14, 2017
The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The statutes of the LORD are true, all of them just; more desirable than gold, than a hoard of purest gold, sweeter also than honey
or drippings from the comb.
Genesis, Chapter 31, Verse 53
May the God of Abraham and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge between us!” Jacob took the oath by the Fear of his father Isaac.
Laban and Jacob both take oaths here not to war with each other. Nahor was the brother of Abraham and an idol worshiper who used several God’s as a type of insurance policy. Laban here is doing the same mentioning His gods but Jacob wanted to ensure Laban that there is only one God which he states was the Fear of Isaac. Laban sets up a pillar as a border line for the two to prevent trespassing which leads often to war. War and the taking of life by one another have been with us since Cain slew Abel. Christ the promise of God came to stop the cycle of revenge to change the law of an eye for an eye. Yet, there are times when one must take up the sword and not stand by to let the evil defile the weak. We are not to tolerate bullies or murderers. God was not pleased with our Nation when we idly watched the slaughter that took place neither in Rwanda nor at our silence while our courts allow the murder of children by abortion and the selling of their body parts.
Ways to live out the gift of fortitude in your life, bestowed upon you by the Holy Spirit at your Confirmation.
1. Speak out against evil wherever you find it.
2. Take the job in which you can do the most good for the spiritual welfare of others.
3. Be cheerful at your work; practice the apostolate of smiling; it will cost an effort at times.
4. Have a loving solicitude for all with whom you come in contact, especially for those who are friendless.
5. Fight down your own evil passions daily with renewed energy.
6. Be ready to defend your Faith in word, deed, and association.
7. Bring happiness where there is strife.
8. Live your Faith; join organizations that promote Catholic Action.
9. Advise others what to do in a spiritual difficulty; make sure the advice is correct.
10. Stay informed on Catholic news; it will help when explaining the Faith to those outside of the Church.
11. Forsake the job rather than Christian principles.
Orthodox New Year
· Russian Orthodox churches in the United States hold church services often with festive dinner and dancing to celebrate the holiday. The traditional dishes include meat dumplings, beet salad, pickled mushrooms, tomatoes, and cucumbers along with vodka.
· Orthodox Serbians also celebrate Old New Year, which is sometimes called the Serbian New Year. Many Serbians Orthodox churches hold services, followed by dinner, and dancing.
· Although the Old New Year is a popular holiday for many practicing the Orthodox faith, it isn't an official holiday.
· Macedonians, including those living in the United States, also celebrate Old New Year's with traditional food, folk music, and visiting friends and family.
· Many Russians enjoy extending the holiday season by including Orthodox New Year in it.
Orthodox New Year Top Events and Things to Do
· Enjoy a dinner dance at Orthodox Church with native cuisine folk music.
· Learn to cook some Russian or Eastern European dishes. One of the most important Russian dishes during the holiday season is kutya, a porridge made of grain, honey and poppy seeds. It symbolizes hope, happiness, and success.
· Rent a movie Dr. Zhivago (1965). It depicts some of the lavish parties held during the holidays right before the Russian Revolution. The film is based on the 1957 novel by Boris Pasternak.
FEAST OF THE HOLY FAMILY-ST SYLVESTER Genesis, Chapter 15, verse 1 Sometime afterward, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a visi...
DAY 38 - MARY, QUEEN OF ANGELS, PRAY FOR US LOVE DEMANDS EFFORT Throughout all of salvation history we see such cries as "Let his face...
DAY 37 - MARY, HELP OF CHRISTIANS, PRAY FOR US ALERT! Today begin's the Novena to St. Michael (See below) SET THE WORLD ABLAZE The wor...
On September 3 rd , I wrote: "The US in 2020 is a country on the edge: a global pandemic; violent protests, vandalism and looting; de...
DAY 40 - MARY, QUEEN OF APOSTLES, PRAY FOR US DIVINE CONNECTION The Gospel story Pope John Paul II sets as the foundation for his new mil...
DAY 27 - MARY, MYSTICAL ROSE, PRAY THAT WE RECEIVE THE FRUIT OF CHASTITY! GOD'S WORD "The eye is the lamp of the body; so then i...
DAY 39 - MARY, QUEEN OF PROPHETS, PRAY FOR US ONE THING NECESSARY Pope Benedict XVI said, "The heart open to God, purified by contempl...
DAY 23 - MARY, CAUSE OF OUR JOY, PRAY THAT WE RECEIVE THE FRUIT OF GENTLENESS! GOD'S WORD "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from...
DAY 41 - MARY, QUEEN OF MARTYRS, PRAY FOR US ALERT!! Tomorrow begins - 40 Days for America! September 25 marks 40 days until the Presiden...
Leviticus, Chapter 25, Verse 17 Do not deal unfairly with one another, then; but stand in fear of your God. I, the LORD, am your God. ...