Curing Sickness by Superstition ("Curanderos" And "Santeros")
Second Sunday After Epiphany Sirach, Chapter 1, Verse 27-30 For the fear of the Lord is wisdom and discipline; faithfulness an...
Monday, February 19, 2018
Tuesday, February 20, 2018
Isaiah, Chapter 41, verse 22-23
22 Let them draw near and foretell to us what it is that shall happen! What are the things of long ago? Tell us, that we may reflect on them and know their outcome; or declare to us the things to come, 23 tell what is to be in the future, that we may know that you are gods! Do something, good or evil, that will put us in awe and in fear.
This verse is Isaiah’s indictment of Babylonian gods that is patterned on a legal trial, in which they are challenged to prove power over events of history and so justify their status as gods. Christ at his coming did show his power as God by his healings and miracles but still the Jews did not believe because their mind was trapped by wrong thinking. If we are to follow Christ we must know His thinking.
Today let us reflect on Christ’s mind given in the gospel.
“To you who hear I say, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. To the person who strikes you on one cheek, offer the other one as well, and from the person, who takes your cloak, do not withhold even your tunic. Give to everyone who asks of you, and from the one who takes what is yours do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. For if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do the same. If you lend money to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, and get back the same amount. But rather, love your enemies and do good to them, and lend expecting nothing back; then your reward will be great and you will be children of the Most High, for he himself is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as also your Father is merciful. “Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.”
The Devil and Temptations
Curing Sickness by Superstition ("Curanderos" And "Santeros")
· It doesn't matter if there are statues, holy water, crucifixes, prayers to Jesus, Mary and the saints, if there is any superstitious practice it is evil. These are some examples:
o using charms or a tomato to wash one's body, putting the remainder under the bed,
o cleaning one's body with eggs or lemons and burning the materials with charcoal,
o Using rose water and alcohol for healing. (In one case this was prepared by placing a skeleton in the water for six hours, followed by singing and praying over the water.)
· Sometimes a "curandero" gives a special vitamin to take or even prescribes "Catholic" prayers to be said. None of these "prayers" should be said in these circumstances because they were prepared under the influence of evil. Other examples include:
o Taking a special bath prepared with wine, flowers, bread, cinnamon, black sugar, and water from a river.
o Wrapping a person in a special bandage, cutting off piece by piece, and burying it in a recent grave in the cemetery.
· Sometimes people pray to God and to the saints and then go off seeking relief through the kingdom of darkness. Many times God does not heal through prayer or doctors because He wants the soul to be healed first of hatred, jealousy, or some other sin. God knows what He is doing. We have to choose either the power of God or the power of evil. If you have any objects used in these false cures, destroy them. Renounce Satan, renounce this sin, ask God's forgiveness and confess your sin to a priest.
I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
· Read: Today we read about Blessed Francisco and Blessed Jacinta Marto, two of the three Fatima visionaries.
· Reflect: "No other creature ever basked in the light of God's face as did Mary; she in turn gave a human face to the Son of the eternal Father. Now we can contemplate her in the succession of joyful, luminous, sorrowful and glorious moments of her life, which we revisit in our recitation of the rosary. With Christ and Mary, we abide in God."—Pope Francis, Blessing of the Candles, Chapel of Apparitions, Fatima, May 12, 2017
· Pray: Reflect on the Five Sorrowful Mysteries as you pray the Rosary today.
· Act: As part of your prayer of the Rosary today, say this prayer in between each decade. It was requested by the Blessed Virgin Mary at Fatima. "O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell; lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who have most need of your mercy."
· Manhood of the Master-Day 3 week 4
· Please pray for me and this ministry
Wednesday In the Octave of Epiphany Hebrews, Chapter 2, Verse 14-15 14 Now since the children share in blood and flesh, he likewi...
DAY 51 - OUR LADY OF FATIMA, PRAY FOR US SEEKING HARMONY There are actually three wounds that ravage souls and bring spiritual death to them...
Our Lady of Prompt Succor Genesis, Chapter 28, Verse 17 He was AFRAID and said, 'How awe-inspiring this place is! This is nothing...
Judith, Chapter 10, Verse 16 When you stand before him, have no fear in your heart; give him the report you have given us, and he will...
DAY 52 - OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE, PRAY FOR US POWER OF PRAYER The heroes of our faith are the warrior saints who have gone before us. God work...
Religious freedom day Psalm 19, Verse 10-11 10 The FEAR of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The statutes of the LORD are true, all...
First Friday Ezekiel, Chapter 18, Verse 14-17 14 But, in turn, if he (a sinful man) begets a son who sees all the sins his father c...
pearl harbor day Psalm 27, verse 1: 1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear ? The LORD is my life’s refuge; o...
MLK DAY Genesis, Chapter 31, Verse 42 If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the FEAR of Isaac, had not been on my side, you...