Tuesday, September 15, 2020
DAY 32 - MARY, GATE OF HEAVEN, PRAY FOR US
STATE OF GRACE
PRAY A ROSARY
- Rosary of the Day: Sorowful Mysteries
- Traditional 54 Day Rotation: Sorrowful Mysteries
FEAST OF OUR LADY OF SORROWS
3 For rulers are not a cause of FEAR to good conduct, but to evil. Do you wish to have no FEAR of authority? Then do what is good and you will receive approval from it, 4 for it is a servant of God for your good. But if you do evil, be AFRAID, for it does not bear the sword without purpose; it is the servant of God to inflict wrath on the evildoer.
What we are talking about here is blind obedience or loyalty. Paul concludes that believers are to render obedience to governing authorities and by doing so they render obedience to God from whose power all authority comes. Paul deduces that kings and magistrates’ rule by consent of God, but it is the responsibility of these authorities to make just ordinances and to enact laws that support decency. Caesar is not entitled to obedience when such obedience would nullify God’s prior claim to the believer’s morality.
Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows
We must follow the example of Our Lady of Sorrows and bring our savior to others and undergo the joys with the sorrows. Today would be a good day to contemplate the seven sorrows of our Lady and to pray and honor her for she is our mother too.
This feast is dedicated to the spiritual martyrdom of Mary, Mother of God, and her compassion with the sufferings of her Divine Son, Jesus. In her suffering as co-redeemer, she reminds us of the tremendous evil of sin and shows us the way of true repentance. May the numerous tears of the Mother of God be conducive to our salvation; with which tears Thou, O God, art able to wash away the sins of the whole world.
As Mary stood at the foot of the Cross on which Jesus hung, the sword of sorrow Simeon had foretold pierced her soul. Below are the seven sorrows of Mary:
- The prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:25-35)
- The flight into Egypt (Matthew 2:13-15)
- Loss of the Child Jesus for three days (Luke 2:41-50)
- Mary meets Jesus on his way to Calvary (Luke 23:27-31; John 19:17)
- Crucifixion and Death of Jesus (John 19:25-30)
- The body of Jesus being taken from the Cross (Psalm 130; Luke 23:50-54; John 19:31-37)
- The burial of Jesus (Isaiah 53:8; Luke 23:50-56; John 19:38-42; Mark 15:40-47)
St. Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373), Our Lady directly revealed the amazing graces granted by her Son for all those who daily and pray seven Hail Mary’s while meditating on her seven dolors and tears:
1. “I will grant peace to their families.”
2. “They will be enlightened about the Divine Mysteries.”
3. “I will console them in their pains, and I will accompany them in their work.”
4. “I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my Divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.”
5. “I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.”
6. “I will visibly help them at the moment of their death—they will see the face of their mother.”
7. “I have obtained this grace from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven, and my Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.”
Things to Do
Teach your children the Seven Sorrows of Mary. Read more about this devotion. September is traditionally dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows.
· Present different art pieces of Our Lady of Sorrows, or illustration of one of her sorrows, for meditation and discussion. There are so many different pieces from all different eras, countries and mediums. Search words for art titles would be Lamentation, Deposition, Pieta, Dolorosa, Sorrows, etc. Some samples:
o The Seven Sorrows of the Virgin by Albrecht Durer
o Michelangelo's Pieta
o Pieta by Giovanni Bellini
o Vincent Van Gogh's Pieta
o Titian's Mater Dolorosa
o Different artists on the Presentation in the Temple
o Various artists on the Flight into Egypt
· Discuss why Mary is called the Queen of Martyrs.
· Make a heart-shaped cake for dessert, decorated with the swords piercing the heart.
· Think of ways to make reparation to Mary for the sins committed against Our Lord.
· Pray the short prayer or ejaculation, Holy Mother, imprint deeply upon my heart the wounds of the Crucified.
· Read or sing the Stabat Mater, perhaps incorporating it with the Stations of the Cross.
· In Italy, the title of Our Lady of Sorrows is Maria Santissima Addolorata. This devotion began in the 1200s. She is the patron of many Italian cities. In southern Italy there is La Festa della Madonna dei Sette Dolori (the festival of the Seven Sorrows of the Madonna), instituted in 1423, also called Madonna dell’Addolorata Festival. The food connected to this festival is cuccia salata, wheat berries cooked in meat broth and layered with goat or pork.
35 Promises of God cont.
“Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you...
Tuesday: Litany of St. Michael the Archangel