DAY 12 - MOTHER OF GOOD COUNSEL, PRAY THAT WE RECEIVE THE GIFT OF FORTITUDE!
PRAY A ROSARY
- Rosary of the Day: Sorrowful Mysteries
- Traditional 54 Day Rotation: Glorious Mysteries
It seems we have come to the end of our almost two-year journey exploring all the bible verses that contain the words fear or afraid. Throughout this journey we have discovered that there are many types of fear some good (Holy) and some not so good (servile). Yet, along the way hopefully we have discovered the ultimate will of God is that we have peace, faith, hope and love. Acknowledging this to finish out this journey we will be focusing our research on the New Testament verses that expound on the fruit of a life lived in grace trusting in our Holy God.
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.
A Soul at Peace is better able to focus on LOVE.
NOVEMBER 20 Friday
UNIVERSAL CHILDRENS DAY
John, Chapter 3, Verse 16
For God so LOVED the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.
A few years ago, I was assigned jury duty and while on the way to the court I saw spray painted John 3:16 and I thought I know that verse and said it in my head. That morning at court my group was not selected for the morning session and we were released for lunch. I thought maybe today I will skip lunch and go to the Basilica for Mass. I had for some time now been very unhappy with my place of employment and thought perhaps the Lord will give me some direction. The Basilica was the same church that Saint Pope John Paul II said his Mass in Phoenix when he was there. To my surprise the Mass was a memorial Mass for the anniversary of the death of Saint John Paul II and the reading during the Mass was John 3:16. I said to myself recognizing the Holy Spirit, “Speak Lord your servant is listening”. I thought well I am unhappy at work and John Paul II was a great teacher perhaps I am to become a teacher again. I immediately went over to the Diocese office to pursue a teaching job, but the doors were locked. I thought ok Lord maybe not and started walking back to the courthouse for the afternoon session. On the way my mind was filled with questions about where the Lord is taking me when all of the sudden a bum walked up to me and handed me a “Chick” publication. I opened it and the first verse I seen was John 3:16. Ever since that day I still am looking for what the Lord was trying to tell me that day. Perhaps it is simply. I love you. Love and be loved.
Universal Children's Day
Universal Children's Day aims to create a day of international fraternity and understanding between children all over the globe. The holiday's secondary purpose is to promote the objectives and ideals of the Declaration of the Rights of the Child and the Convention on the Rights of the Child through activities and awareness. Children are the future of the planet, but they are a vulnerable group exposed to abuse and exploitation on a daily basis. As young dependents, children rely on adults for everything from food to shelter to education and it is imperative that their rights be heard if they are to survive and develop into the next generation of world citizens. Universal Children's Day was declared on in 1954 by the United Nations General Assembly as a day to be celebrated on November 20, the anniversaries of the Declaration of the Rights of the Child and the Convention on the Rights of the Child, both of which protect the human rights of children.
Universal Children's Day Facts & Quotes
· The UN General Assembly adopted the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child in November 1989. The United States drafted and signed the treaty; however, it is currently the only member county that has not ratified it, meaning that the US is not legally bound by the Convention. Ratifying the treaty would go against certain laws currently in place in the US, most notably, the treaty forbids life imprisonment without parole for children under 18.
· According to UNICEF, 22,000 children die every day as a result of poverty, often due to preventable diseases such as diarrhea and pneumonia.
· As of 2013, 21.8 million children worldwide in their first year of life had not received adequate vaccine doses against diseases such as tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis.
· The poor are hungry and their hunger traps them in poverty. - The World Food Program
· What is at stake is nothing less than the survival and well-being of a generation of innocents. - Antonia Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Universal Children's Day Top Events and Things to Do
· Read the Declaration of the Rights of the Child and the Convention on the Rights of the Child to learn more about how these treaties can impact your community.
· Spend the day playing with your children, your nieces and nephews, your grandchildren or other children that you know. Take them to the beach, a playground, a movie, or any other outing of their choosing.
· Donate your time to American organizations such as Big Brothers Big Sisters of America or UNICEF that constantly need volunteers to organize and execute activities for children in needy communities.
· Watch a movie that touches on children's rights. Our picks are In This World (2012), Arna's Children (2002) and Slumdog Millionaire (2008)