Ember Days in the Liturgical Year Today
General Norms for the Liturgical Year Calendar, Apostolic Letter of Pope Paul VI
"Today bring to Me the Souls who are in the prison of Purgatory, and immerse them in the abyss of My mercy. Let the torrents of My Blood cool down their scorching flames. All these souls are greatly loved by Me. They are making retribution to My justice. It is in your power to bring them relief. Draw all the indulgences from the treasury of My Church and offer them on their behalf. Oh, if you only knew the torments they suffer, you would continually offer for them the alms of the spirit and pay off their debt to My justice."
Eternal Father, turn Your merciful gaze upon the souls suffering in Purgatory, who are enfolded in the Most Compassionate Heart of Jesus. I beg You, by the sorrowful Passion of Jesus Your Son, and by all the bitterness with which His most sacred Soul was flooded: Manifest Your mercy to the souls who are under Your just scrutiny. Look upon them in no other way but only through the Wounds of Jesus, Your dearly beloved Son; for we firmly believe that there is no limit to Your goodness and compassion. Amen.
Most Merciful Jesus, You Yourself have said that You desire mercy; so I bring into the abode of Your Most Compassionate Heart the souls in Purgatory, souls who are very dear to You, and yet, who must make retribution to Your justice. May the streams of Blood and Water which gushed forth from Your Heart put out the flames of Purgatory, that there, too, the power of Your mercy may be celebrated.
Armed Forces Day Facts & Quotes
- According to the US Dept. of Defense, as of 2013, there are 1,387,493 personnel serving in active duty in the United States; 1,259,000 are serving in the different reserve branches.
- As of September 2011, there were just over 214,000 women serving in active duty. That is 14.6% of all active duty personnel.
One of the best ways to keep peace is to be prepared for war.- General George Washington
- Attend a parade or a military air show.
- Send a care package to military personnel stationed overseas. Free flat-rate boxes are available at USPS. Use these to mail to military bases for a low cost.
- Fly the American Flag.
- Visit a local Veteran's Hospital or Nursing Home to show your gratitude.
- Honor Military Working Dogs by donating to the ASPCA or other charitable organizations that protect and serve these heroic animals.