Thursday, October 6, 2016
- · The current population of Germantown, PA is 26,563 inhabitants.
- · Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Iowa are now home to the largest number of German descendants in the US.
- · After the Second World War, around 375,000 Germans immigrated to the US. In the 50s and 60s alone, around 786,000 Germans immigrated to the US.
- · Albert Einstein was a German immigrant, a Jew who opted to remain in the US when the Nazi party came to power in 1933.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything. - Albert Einstein
- · Read some popular stories by German writers including Hansel and Gretel, The Trial and The Man Without Qualities.
- · Spend some time learning more about the religious oppression in Germany in 1683 in order to further understand why the founding 13 families fled the country and arrived in Philadelphia.
- · Enjoy a glass of mulled wine. It is a common drink found at Christmas markets all through Germany.
- · Enjoy a German movie. Some of our favorites: Victoria (2015), Land of Mine (2015) and Downfall (2004).
- · Learn more about the Nazi Regime from WW2 in order to better understand how the population of German-Americans grew so quickly around that time.