First Saturday ALL SOULS DAY- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME ENDS Wisdom, Chapter 3, Verse 9 Those who trust in him shall understand t...
Friday, August 23, 2019
Saturday, August 24, 2019
FEAST OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW
Ester, Chapter 5, Verse 9
That day Haman left happy and in good spirits. But when he saw that Mordecai at the royal gate did not rise, and showed no fear of him, he was filled with anger toward him.
Change one letter in the name of Haman and it becomes human. How many times have you been in good spirits and happy when bam all of the sudden something upsets you and now you are in the pit of despair? Haman was happy because his pride was enriched, and he saw himself a god and then upon exiting the gate of the palace that Jew Mordecai was sitting at the gate and refused to stand and showed no fear of the great and powerful Haman and reminded him he is mortal. Bam-get even time. Haman goes home and brews telling his perfectly evil mate Zeresh (AKA Devil Woman).
Who Was Zeresh?
Feast of Saint Bartholomew
BARTHOLOMEW, of Cana, in Galilee, is probably that Nathaniel WHO was brought to Christ by Philip (John i. 45). Chosen an apostle, he journeyed to India, preached the gospel everywhere, and converted great numbers to Christ. Returning thence, he came, after many labors and sufferings for Christ’s sake, to Greater Armenia, where he converted a great multitude of persons to the faith. At last he was cruelly tormented, flayed alive, and then beheaded by Astyages, brother to the king, at the instigation of the idolatrous priests.
Prayer. Almighty, everlasting God, Who hast granted us a venerable and holy joy on this day, in the festival of Thy blessed apostle Bartholomew, grant to Thy Church, we beseech Thee, both to love what he believed and to preach what he taught. Amen.
EPISTLE, i. Cor. xii. 27-31.
Brethren: You are the body of Christ, and members of member. And God indeed hath set some in the Church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly doctors, after that miracles, then the graces of healings, helps, governments, kinds of tongues, interpretations of speeches. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all doctors? Are all workers of miracles? Have all the grace of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But be zealous for the better gifts.
GOSPEL. Luke vi. 12-19.
At that time: Jesus went out into a mountain to pray, and He passed the whole night in the prayer of God. And when day was come, He called unto Him His disciples ; and He chose twelve of them (whom also He named apostles): Simon whom He surnamed Peter, and Andrew his brother, James and John, Philip and Bartholomew, Matthew and Thomas, James the son of Alpheus, and Simon who is called Zelotes, and Jude the brother of James, and Judas Iscariot who was the traitor. And coming down with them, He stood in a plain place, and the company of His disciples, and a very great multitude of people from all Judea and Jerusalem, and the seacoast both of Tyre and Sidon, who were come to hear Him, and to be healed of their diseases. And they that were troubled with unclean spirits were cured. And all the multitude sought to touch Him, for virtue went out from Him, and healed all.
Prayer. O St. Bartholomew, who out of love to Christ didst not only part with thy goods, but didst also endure the most cruel death, pray God for me, a vain child of this world, that for love to my Saviour I may readily and joyfully renounce everything earthly and temporal, crucify my flesh, and become thereby worthy to follow thee in heaven. Amen.
The Feast of St. Bartholomew commemorates the life of Jesus' disciple Bartholomew. It is observed in both the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches. St. Bartholomew is thought to have been from Galilee and was probably one of Jesus' first followers. Traditionally, Bartholomew is believed to have been a Jewish law scholar who was a close friend with the apostle Philip. He is credited with converting many to Christianity, in particular in Armenia as well as parts of India and Asia Minor.
St Bartholomew Facts
· Bartholomew is simply just listed by name in the gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke as well as in Acts. He is not mentioned in the Gospel of John, but some theologians believe that he is referred to by the name Nathaniel. Most of the information the church has about Bartholomew/Nathaniel is based on early sermons and writings.
· In the Gospel of John, Bartholomew (known as Nathaniel) is identified as being from Galilee. He was one of Jesus' first disciples.
· Bartholomew is thought to have been martyred in Armenia. His skin was flayed from his body while he was still alive.
· St. Bartholomew is the patron saint of Armenia because early church writers placed him there spreading the gospel.
· Bartholomew is celebrated in the Orthodox Church on June 30. In the Roman Catholic tradition, his feast day is August 24.
St Bartholomew Top Events and Things to Do
· Travel to Rome and visit St Bartholomew's relics. They are thought to be entombed in the basilica, St Bartholomew on the Island (in Rome, Italy).
· Visit the Sistine Chapel at St. Peter's Basilica in Rome or look at its images online. St. Bartholomew appears in Michelangelo's "The Last Judgment" with his skin flayed.
· Gingerbread is a food associated with the St Bartholomew. Bake some gingerbread men on his feast day.
More Things to Do
· In Sandwich, Kent, England, there is a St Bartholomew's Bun Race. The Bartlemas Bun Race for children takes place around the chapel of St. Bartholomew's Hospital on this feast day. Each participant receives a currant bun, while the attendants are each given a St Bart's Biscuit, which has an imprint of the hospital's ancient seal.
· St. Bartholomew's relics are in Rome, in the Church of St. Bartholomew-on-the-Tiber, or San Bartolomeo all'Isola (translated as: St. Bartholomew's on the Island). This site provides some pictures this church.
· Read the Life of St. Bartholomew from The Golden Legend.
· Since gingerbread is one food associated with this saint, read this short history of gingerbread.
· In England St. Bartholomew's day was a harvest feast for shepherds and farmers, celebrating their flocks. Athletic contests before feasting with England's favorite meat: grilled juicy mutton. This feast falls during the grilling season, so why not serve something from the barbecue.
Is a traditional seasoned grilled meat for the Feast of St. Bart. While stationed in Belgium many years ago with my young daughter Nicole there were none of the American fast food places in close vicinity, but there were frites stands. Nicole loved Belgium frites, which are “French Fries” with an attitude. We used to joke that someday we will open our own Frite stand and on the placard, we would proudly proclaim the name of our stand, “DICK AND NIC’S FRITES AND SHASLIKS”.
· Battle for the Soul of America-Day 10
 Goffine’s Devout Instructions, 1896.
Judith, Chapter 10, Verse 16 When you stand before him, have no fear in your heart; give him the report you have given us, and he will...
Introduction to 1 John  The First Epistle of John , often referred to as First John and written 1 John or I John , is the first of the...
What Can We Do? The US in 2020 is a country on the edge: a global pandemic; violent protests, vandalism and looting; destruction of Church, ...
Leviticus, Chapter 25, Verse 17 Do not deal unfairly with one another, then; but stand in fear of your God. I, the LORD, am your God. ...
SAINT TERESA OF AVILA Jude, Chapter 1, Verse 22-23 22 On those who waver, have mercy; 23 save others by snatching them out of the f...
Introduction to the Epistle of Jude  Author, Date, and Recipients The book was written by Jude, the brother of James and Jesus ...
Romans, Chapter 8, verse 14-15 14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. 15 For you did not receive a ...
Read about Rosary Coast to Coast and the National Rosary Rally HERE Here is the link to livestream. Begins at 2:30pm EST: https://us02we...
Day 39-Let Freedom Ring: Freedom from Presumption ANNOUNCEMENT! We are getting very...
Thursday of the Fifth Week of Easter ST MATTHIAS-Novena St. Rita-Chicken Dance Day Jeremiah, Chapter 42, Verse 11-16 11 Do not FE...