Monday Night at the Movies
Robert Bresson, The Devil Probably, 1977
WORLD DIABETES DAY
Revelation, Chapter 1, Verse 4-6
4John, to the seven churches in Asia: grace to you and PEACE from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits before his throne, 5and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead and ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, 6who has made us into a kingdom, priests for his God and Father, to him be glory and power forever [and ever]. Amen.
What are the Seven Spirits of God?
It does not seem unreasonable that the Seven Spirits of God may be the opposite of the Seven Deadly Sins that are the hallmark of the fallen.
The demons of Pride are opposed by the Spiritual Gift of Fearing the Lord, (Humility).
The demons of Envy, by the Spiritual Gift of Charity.
The demons of Anger, by the Spiritual Gift of Justice.
The demons of Sloth, by the Spiritual Gift of Fortitude.
demons of Greed, by the Spiritual Gift of Temperance.
The demons of Gluttony, by the Spiritual Gift of Prudence.
The demons of Lust, by the Spiritual Gift of Chastity.
World Diabetes Day
World Diabetes Day aims to raise awareness of diabetes, a disease that raises blood sugars. Diabetes can result in problems with other organs and significantly increase the risk of heart disease, stroke and death. As of 2015, approximately 1 in 10 adults worldwide is diabetic, a problem which poses a massive burden on nations as it threatens their health and economic prosperity. In 1991, World Diabetes Day was established by the International Diabetes Federation and the World Health Organization in an effort to address the increasing number of diabetes cases and its burden on countries. Currently, diabetes prevalence is highest in the Middle East and Southern Asia while it is lowest in Sub Saharan Africa. Diabetes, especially type 2, has been linked to obesity and a sedentary, inactive lifestyle and thus World Diabetes Day also serves to promote a healthy and active lifestyle that can drastically reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
World Diabetes Day Facts & Quotes
· According to the World Health Organization, about 350 million people in the world have diabetes. The organization expects this number to double in the next two decades.
· More than 80% of deaths related to diabetes occur in low and middle-income countries.
· Type 2 diabetes is much more common than type 1. Type 2 diabetes accounts for about 90% of the world's diabetes cases.
· 50% of people with diabetes die due to heart disease and stroke (cardiovascular diseases).
· I was determined to share my positive approach and not let diabetes stand in the way of enjoying my life - Paula Deen, celebrity chef
World Diabetes Day Top Events and Things to Do
· Visit your doctor if you are overweight, obese, do not regularly exercise and do not eat a balanced diet. These are all factors that can cause diabetes.
· Participate in one of the American Diabetes Association's fundraising activities which include, The Tour de Cure, Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes, Rip's B.A.D. Ride or you can create your own fundraising event by using the organizations' online tools.
· Watch a documentary about diabetes and diabetes-related topics such as obesity, sugar consumption and fast food. Our favorites are Sugar Babies, The Human Trial, Simply Raw Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days and Diabetes Cure Documentary
Learn about ways to control and lower the risk
of developing diabetes. The American Diabetes Association provides some great
ways to reduce your risk which include:
1) Eat a healthy balanced diet
2) Exercise regularly
3) Ensure that you are not overweight or obese
4) Remove unnecessary processed foods with high sugar content from your diet
5) Get checked for high blood pressure or abnormal cholesterol levels
· Try the Iceman’s Universal Man Plan
Learn about the symptoms and signs of diabetes.
Many cases of diabetes go undiagnosed for long periods of time while causing
irreversible damage to the body. Some common signs and symptoms include:
Catechism of the Catholic Church
PART THREE: LIFE IN CHRIST
SECTION ONE-MAN'S VOCATION LIFE IN THE SPIRIT
CHAPTER TWO-THE HUMAN COMMUNION
Article 2-PARTICIPATION IN SOCIAL LIFE
III. Responsibility and Participation
1913 "Participation" is the voluntary and generous engagement of a person in social interchange. It is necessary that all participate, each according to his position and role, in promoting the common good. This obligation is inherent in the dignity of the human person.
1914 Participation is achieved first of all by taking charge of the areas for which one assumes personal responsibility: by the care taken for the education of his family, by conscientious work, and so forth, man participates in the good of others and of society.
1915 As far as possible citizens should take an active part in public life. the manner of this participation may vary from one country or culture to another. "One must pay tribute to those nations whose systems permit the largest possible number of the citizens to take part in public life in a climate of genuine freedom."
1916 As with any ethical obligation, the participation of all in realizing the common good calls for a continually renewed conversion of the social partners. Fraud and other subterfuges, by which some people evade the constraints of the law and the prescriptions of societal obligation, must be firmly condemned because they are incompatible with the requirements of justice. Much care should be taken to promote institutions that improve the conditions of human life.
1917 It is incumbent on those who exercise authority to strengthen the values that inspire the confidence of the members of the group and encourage them to put themselves at the service of others. Participation begins with education and culture. "One is entitled to think that the future of humanity is in the hands of those who are capable of providing the generations to come with reasons for life and optimism."
· Unite in the work of the Porters of St. Joseph by joining them in fasting: Today's Fast: Catholic Politicians & Leaders
· Eat waffles and Pray for the assistance of the Angels
· Litany of the Most Precious Blood of Jesus
· Offering to the sacred heart of Jesus
· Monday: Litany of Humility
Post a Comment