Saturday, June 10, 2017
His name occurs in Judæo-Babylonian conjuring texts, and is conspicuous in the liturgy—as in the evening prayer, where he is mentioned together with the three other angels, at whose head stands God, exactly as in the Christian version of Zechariah.
- Tobias went out to look for someone to accompany him and who should he run into but Raphael, the angel!
- When asked if he knew the way to Media, Raphael replied that he often stayed there with Gabael (who just happened to be the guy holding the bag of money) because they were kinsmen. (Though this seems to be an amazing stroke of luck, it, of course, reflects the providence of God.)
- Tobit wanted to meet him and when pressed for a name, Raphael said it was Azariah, which means “Yahweh has helped.”
- Both Tobit and Tobias had no clue as to Azariah’s true identity even though he told Tobit he would soon be healed.
- Tobit wished them a safe journey, saying, “May [God’s] angel accompany you both and protect you!” (Another example of great irony!)