Sunday, June 11, 2017
- On the first night out, Tobias and Raphael/Azariah camped by the Tigris River.
- When Tobias went to bathe, a fish jumped out of the water and tried to swallow his foot. Scholars see much symbolism in this event. Typically, water represents chaos; then it’s an attempt to disrupt their trip. “Feet” sometimes has sexual connotations; then it’s an attack on his manhood.
- Azariah told him to grab the fish.
- He hauled it out on the shore, and Azariah told him to cut out the heart, liver, and gall bladder. What he couldn’t eat, he salted and took with them. Since he ate it, it could not have been an unclean fish. (Now, as an angel, Azariah never ate anything, which he will point out later in the story. Tobias, however, didn’t catch on to any of this.)
- Along the way, the angel told Tobias what to do with those fish parts.