Psalm 147, Verse 10-11
10 He takes no delight in the strength of horses, no pleasure in the runner’s stride. 11Rather the LORD takes pleasure in those who FEAR him, those who put their hope in his mercy.
This verse actually means that person full of hubris and pride of life has a hard time acknowledging their dependence upon God. They may feel they have strength and speed however those who have Holy fear God delights in. This psalm divided into three sections and calls for praise. The first section praises the powerful creator who restores exiled Judah the second section, the creator who provides food to animals and human beings; the third and climactic section exhorts the holy city to recognize it has been re-created and made the place of disclosure for God’s word, a word as life-giving as water. God clothes the fields and feeds the birds. God is the author of life. The wise person is full of activity that acknowledges one’s dependence upon God rather than claiming self-sufficiency that displeases God. God speaks through the thunder of nature and the word of revealed law. The weather phenomena are well known in Jerusalem: a blizzard of snow and hail followed by a thunderstorm that melts the ice.
· If obedience doesn’t give you peace, it’s because you’re proud.
· You’ve been told to do something that seems difficult and useless. Do it. And you’ll see that it’s easy and fruitful.
· Right now, when you are finding it hard to obey, remember your Lord, factus obediens usque ad mortem, mortem autem crucis—“obedient unto death, even to death on the cross!”
· Oh, the power of obedience! The Lake of Genesareth had denied its fishes to Peter’s nets. A whole night in vain. Then, obedient, he lowered his net again into the water and they caught piscium multitudinem copiosam—“a great number of fishes.” Believe me, the miracle is repeated every day.
· How well you understand obedience when you write: “Always to obey is to be a martyr without dying!”
· Temper your will. Strengthen your will. With God’s grace, let it be like a sword of steel. Only by being strong-willed can you know how not to be so in order to obey.
· Unite in the work of the Porters of St. Joseph by joining them in fasting: Today's Fast: Families of St. Joseph’s Porters
· Eat waffles and Pray for the assistance of the Angels
· Monday: Litany of Humility