- When they arrived at Media, Azariah said they needed to stop at the home of Raguel – their relative and the father of Sarah.
- Raguel means “Friend of God.”
- Azariah told Tobias he was the nearest relative and had the right (maybe even obligation) to marry her. He would also inherit half her father’s estate.
- Tobias was not thrilled with that since he had heard about the seven previous husbands. He knew his parents would be overcome with grief were he to die.
- Tobias obeyed his father’s request. He left Nineveh and moved back to Ecbatan to live with Raguel and Edna. Tobias lived until he was 117.
- Before he died, he heard about the destruction of Nineveh and knew that its prisoners were taken to Media. Tobias blessed God.
Acts, Chapter 26, Verse 5-7 5They have known about me from the start, if they are willing to testify, that I have lived my life as a Pharisee, the strictest party of our religion. 6But now I am standing trial because of my hope in the promise made by God to our ancestors. 7 Our twelve tribes hope to attain to that promise as they fervently worship God day and night; and on account of this hope I am accused by Jews, O king.
Paul clearly explains that his entire life was in preparation for the hope of Israel, Christ Jesus, who Israel did not recognize as the son of God. Paul states that the prophets and Moses had foretold that the Christ would suffer, and as first to be raised from the dead, he would proclaim light to both God’s people and the Gentiles. The resurrection is God’s promise to Israel. Paul like Christ ultimately was a victim of intolerance.
Twenty Fifth Sunday after Pentecost
GOSPEL Matthew 13: 24 – 30
At that time Jesus spoke this parable…